Sessional Instructors – Information Technology & Computing Sciences
Category: Academic Colleague
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
CUE is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of over 3,000, we are known for our small class sizes and excellence in teaching. These features, and our diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian university system. CUE is an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
The Faculty of Science invites applications for one or more sessional instructor positions beginning in the Fall 2021 academic term. The payment depends on the assigned contact hours and on the qualification of the candidate.
Where the course schedule has been set, Sessional Instructors must be able to accommodate the day and time noted for the respective course.
Please note, this opportunity is available to begin Fall 2021.
Reporting to the Chair, Department of Mathematical & Physical Sciences, the Sessional Instructor’s responsibilities include:
- Prepare and deliver weekly instructional lectures, assignments and examinations relevant to the course taught
- Grade assignments and exams
- Provide constructive feedback to students, including effective individualized strategies to support student success
- Maintain regular office hours
- Work collegially as a team member with Department and Faculty leadership, Lab Instructors, Colleagues and other stakeholders
- A PhD or Masters in related discipline
- University-level teaching experience is preferred
- University-level teaching effectiveness as demonstrated through student evaluations
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated empathetic approach to the instructional needs and concerns of students
- Proficiency with Google Email and Apps, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience using a learning management system, such as Moodle, and familiarity with educational technologies, with an aptitude to learn other software as required
- Expertise in networking is highly desirable
Interest and Applications:
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Baidya Saha for further information at email@example.com.
Please forward your complete application package to Dr. Baidya Saha, Coordinator of Information Technology & Computing Sciences, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Packages should include:
- Curriculum Vitae and cover letter
- Official transcripts of graduate-level courses and designation confirmation
- Letter describing teaching philosophy
- Recent teaching evaluations, if available
- Names and contact information of three academic and/or professional employment references
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Closing Date: Application review will commence July 30, 2021 and will continue until the positions are filled.
Concordia University of Edmonton encourages applications from members of racialized groups, visible minorities, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, and others who may support a diversity of perspectives at CUE. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.