Senior Maintenance Generalist
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a boutique university, small enough where every student is essential yet large enough for a global outlook. We are constantly seeking the right balance between teaching and research, between specialization and adventurousness. Our ultimate goal has not changed since 1921: to create a community of active citizens, of good and honourable people. Our vision is to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university.
Reporting to the Director of Plant Operations, the Senior Maintenance Generalist plays an integral role in the day-to-day operations of building environmental infrastructure support and is regularly required to assist other maintenance and operations staff. As Senior Maintenance Generalist you will primarily be responsible for lighting, heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems, minor plumbing repair, cooking/kitchen appliances, testing, interior and exterior hardware troubleshooting and maintenance.
As Senior Maintenance Generalist, you are self-motivated, ensuring our campus buildings are operating smoothly. You work with, coach and assist other team members, all while making things work and getting stuff done! You prioritize delivering excellent customer service and collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders within the Concordia University of Edmonton community.
This position will participate in CUE’s comprehensive benefit and pension plans.
- Perform and complete all assigned duties and responsibilities with minimum supervision as per agreed schedules.
- Ensure all equipment and systems are operated in a safe and efficient manner.
- Work closely with all departments to ensure smooth building operations.
- Operate and maintain boilers and ventilation systems.
- Conduct inspections and enter the appropriate record logs, to ensure equipment is maintained.
- Take daily readings of all major equipment including but not limited to, air supply temperatures, water temperatures and pressure readings. Document and inspect for irregularities in readings.
- Maintain interior/exterior hardware and systems; doors, door closures, locks, windows, blinds, etc. Ensure signage and lighting is in good working condition.
- Complete minor maintenance and repairs as required such as belt and filter replacement, lamp replacement, housekeeping of common areas, washroom and plumbing repairs, etc.
- Monitor fire alarm panel and sprinkler system regularly for proper operation and report any discrepancies. Complete weekly, bi-weekly and monthly testing where required and conducts fire drills.
- Respond to service calls in a timely manner when work orders are assigned, and assist in trouble-shooting when required.
- Respond and assist with seasonal building requirements, including snow clearing/removal.
- Perform work in accordance with established processes and practices.
- Maintain shop and assigned tools inventory and arrange for repair and pre-placement where required.
- Maintain cleanliness and service of all common areas and mechanical rooms.
- Complies with all internal and external requirements including but not limited to environmental, health and safety, and fire protection standards.
- Comply with all Occupational Health and Safety legislations, guidelines, standards, policies, procedures, and practices and report areas of concern in a timely manner.
- Completion of a high school diploma and Power Engineer 4th Class certification
- Minimum of four years working hands-on experience in facility operations and maintenance
- Broad understanding of the technical requirements of building operations including, but not limited to, BAS, HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life safety, etc.
- Intermediate ability to adhere to and properly execute processes and practices relating to facility operations and maintenance
- Intermediate troubleshooting and resolution skills in order to determine and resolve building mechanical, electrical equipment, and systems issues
- Possesses a current knowledge of fire, life, safety, and building codes with a health and safety mindset. Ability to perform work in a safe manner
- Strong client-service orientation with a sense of urgency
- Knowledge of applicable Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS), First Aid and CPR training
- Computer literate in BAS, email and MS Office
- Effective communication skills for the purpose of data relay, exchange, feedback, and clarification
- Team oriented with the ability to be flexible in support of the timelines and deliverables of team members
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and able to respond quickly to emergency situations
- Ability to lift an average of 30 pounds. Will occasionally be required to lift heavier materials.
- Ability to participate in on-call shifts and cover alternate shifts when required and to work overtime when necessary and respond to emergencies
Salary Range: $50,487 – $62,483 per year
Closing Date: Application review will commence immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check results.
Please forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations in confidence to email@example.com.
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.