Lead Hand / HVAC Specialist
Concordia University of Edmonton is seeking a Lead Hand / HVAC Specialist, reporting to the Director of Plant Operations. The Lead Hand / HVAC Specialist position provides leadership in the area of building environmental infrastructure support. Primary responsibilities include; the effective management and operation of heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems and appliance installation, testing, troubleshooting, and maintenance. The position also entails an “on call” rotation, and will be regularly required to advise or assist other Maintenance and Operations staff.
The position is available to start as soon as possible.
- Coordinate and review the HVAC and mechanical systems activities of the Building Operator and Maintenance Generalist (boiler operator).
- Install and/or modify and/or maintain HVAC system components.
- Install and/or modify and/or maintain cooking and refrigeration appliances.
- Install and/or modify and/or maintain humidification systems.
- Inspect and maintain fans, belts, pulleys, filters, motors, and compressors.
- Maintain accurate records of all test results, inspection results, and maintenance procedures.
- Advise and assist other Maintenance and Operations staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Basic familiarity with all trade practices.
- HVAC Specialist Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum Class 5 Steam Engineer, Class 4 or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Some supervisory experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of HVAC systems and controls.
- Working knowledge of DDC control systems, Trane, Honeywell, etc.
- Working knowledge of cooking, heating, and refrigeration appliances.
- Working knowledge of national and provincial building, refrigeration, electrical, and heating codes.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to deal effectively with all staff and others in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Willing to assist with and/or perform any building maintenance or operations duty.
- Candidate conducts themselves in a manner that is in accordance with the mission and objectives of both Concordia and the Plant Operations Department.
- Must be available for emergency service (“on call”).
- Must be able to pass an Edmonton Police Service (EPS) security clearance.
Closing Date: Application review will continue until the position is filled. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
All applications should include a resume and cover letter with three work-related references and salary expectations. Please forward the application in confidence to:
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.