Laboratory Technician – Chemistry
Closing Date: February 1, 2020
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences is seeking candidates for the position of Laboratory Technician. This position is available to begin August 1, 2020.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 3,000, CUE is known for our small class sizes and our excellence in teaching. Our small classes, and diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. CUE is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
The Chemistry Program at CUE offers 3- and 4-year (CSC accredited) Bachelor of Science degrees in chemistry, giving students the option to either prepare for a professional career or move forward to professional programs or graduate school. The chemistry program is designed to give students a broad understanding of the foundational concepts in chemistry. Students are exposed to extensive laboratory experience that supports and expands upon concepts discussed in lectures while allowing them to gain a variety of practical skills.
Requirements for the position include:
- A BSc. degree in Chemistry with strong science laboratory experience.
- Experience in operating and maintaining laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member
- Knowledge and proficiency in Occupational Health and Safety (WHIMIS 2015), Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Superior interpersonal skills with a wide range of faculty, staff and students.
- Good conflict resolution skills and be able to work independently without much supervision
- Ability to learn new techniques and demonstrate independent learning through the application of reference manuals
The Laboratory Technician will support the delivery of laboratory materials within the Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences chemistry program. The Laboratory Technician will aid in maintaining a safe work place for students, visitors, staff and faculty by keeping inventories up to date and lab spaces free of clutter. The Laboratory Technician may be tasked with a variety of jobs from lab setup, reagent preparation and sample analysis. The successful candidate must be able to have a flexible schedule and be available outside of the regular working hours.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Vladimir Pitchko for further information at email@example.com. All application packages must be directed to Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval. Application review will commence February 1, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Application packages must include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of references;
- Transcripts of all undergraduate-level courses;
- Note that shortlisted candidates will be requested to provide three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference.
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.