Laboratory Technician, Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Closing Date: January 31, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences is seeking candidates for the position of Laboratory Technician. This position is available to begin August 1, 2019.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 2500, Concordia is known for its small class sizes and its excellence in teaching. Our small classes, and diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. Concordia is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
Concordia’s Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences offers 3- and 4-year Bachelor of Science degrees, giving students the option to either prepare for a professional career or move forward to professional programs or graduate school. Each program offers multiple concentrations or major options, and minors in biology are available to students in other areas of study. The degree programs are designed to give students a broad understanding of the foundational concepts in biology. Students are exposed to extensive laboratory experience that supports and expands upon concepts discussed in lectures while allowing them to gain a variety of practical skills.
Requirements for the position include:
- A BSc. degree in Biology with strong science laboratory experience
- Proven ability in the areas of ecology, biotechnology, botany, microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry
- Experience in operating and maintaining laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- Knowledge and experience in maintenance and cultivation of organisms
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member
- Knowledge and proficiency in Occupational Health and Safety (WHIMIS 2015), Microsoft Word and Excel
- Superior interpersonal skills with a wide range of faculty, staff and students
- Good conflict resolution skills and be able to work independently without much supervision
- Ability to learn new techniques and demonstrate independent learning through the application of reference manuals
The Laboratory Technician will support the delivery of laboratory materials within the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences. She/he will aid in maintaining a safe work place for students, visitors, staff and faculty by keeping inventories up to date and lab spaces free of clutter. She/he may be tasked with a variety of jobs from reagent and media preparation to culturing of organisms. The successful candidate must be able to have a flexible schedule and be available outside of the regular working hours.
Interested individuals may contact Human Resources for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org. All application packages should be directed to the Office of Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: This position will be filled subject to budget approval. Application review will commence February 1, 2019. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as required for this position.
Application should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of references;
- Transcripts of all undergraduate-level courses;
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.