Director, Communications and Marketing
Closing Date: October 3, 2021
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good.
CUE campus is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of over 3,000, we are known for our small class sizes and our excellence in teaching. Our small classes and diverse student population provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian university system. CUE is an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management. Our vision is to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university.
CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
Reporting to the Vice-President External Affairs & International Relations, the Director, Communications & Marketing will advise and support the President, Board of Governors, Vice-President External Affairs & International Relations, and senior leaders through communication and marketing strategies in support of CUE’s institutional plan, with the intent to build and promote CUE’s image, brand, reputation and programs locally, nationally and internationally.
As CUE’s communications expert, the Director provides daily communications support and activities while also leading the communications and marketing team. The Director has the ability to write efficiently for multiple mediums, including writing and overseeing written and visual content ensuring content and strategies elevates CUE’s brand and contributes to our vision. Leading the team collaboratively, the Director will manage projects and oversee team resourcing and work assignments.
- Advise and support the President and Board of Governors with communications strategies for institutional projects, initiatives and emerging issues.
- Coordinate, create, write, edit and proof-read key messages, speeches, briefing notes, media releases, advertising and social media messaging.
- Provide advice and counsel to senior leaders, including the development, implementation and evaluation of effective communications, with the intent to build CUE’s image, brand and reputation.
- Lead the creation of comprehensive media and marketing kits for all initiatives to ensure all audiences and stakeholders are informed.
- Lead the creation and publication of an annual report.
- Provide departments the tools and resources necessary to ensure clear and effective communication, by developing, implementing and maintaining communication standards related to branding and operating procedures.
- Lead the creation and implementation of a media and social media strategy, including coordinating the development and maintenance of all communications platforms, such as; external websites, print, newsletters and social media.
- Provide strategic support to the President and senior leaders on issues management, stakeholder and media relations.
- Act as primary media contact for the university, managing pre and post interviews, responses to media inquiries, and media availability for events.
- Identify and assist in the management of issues affecting the university and stakeholders, including developing communication plans and providing support in response to emerging issues.
- Monitor relevant issues in post-secondary education, provincially and nationally. Advise leadership of issues and recommend potential mitigation strategies and responses.
- Cultivate engaging and positive relationships with local, regional and national media.
- Provides leadership, mentoring and development of the communications and marketing team.
- An undergraduate degree in Communications or equivalent is required. Graduate level degree is considered an asset.
- Five plus years’ strategic communications experience, including advice to executive level
- Three plus years’ experience in leading and mentoring a team
- Experience with internet platforms and development and maintenance of internet site
- Experience with writing all types of communication forms, including media speeches, briefing notes, media releases, strategic plan, annual report
- Experience in post-secondary or a public or not-for-profit organization considered an asset
- Exceptional proficiency in MS Office, Google applications
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check results
Closing Date: Application review will commence on October 4th, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please forward a cover letter including salary expectations and resume to:
Human Resources at Concordia University of Edmonton email@example.com
Concordia University of Edmonton encourages applications from members of racialized groups, visible minorities, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, and others who may support a diversity of perspectives at CUE. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.