Dean of Graduate Studies
Category: CUE Internal Candidates Only
Closing Date: March 8, 2021
This opportunity is for Concordia University of Edmonton internal candidates only
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a boutique university, small enough where every student is essential yet large enough for a global outlook. We are constantly seeking the right balance between teaching and research, between specialization and adventurousness. Our ultimate goal has not changed since 1921: to be more than students and professors, to create a community of active citizens, of good and honourable people.
CUE is a rapidly evolving institution, aiming to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university, and are currently seeking candidates for the position of Dean of Graduate Studies. This renewable term position, offers substantial opportunities to lead and grow an already successful Faculty in alignment with the 2018-23 Academic Plan https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CUE_AcademicPlan-Spreads-Digital_FINAL.pdf, is available to begin July 1, 2021.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers students the opportunity to continue their studies to a higher level across an array of unique programs and diverse fields. We offer excellent graduate degree programs that are recognized and respected both in Canada and internationally, including most recently an MEd, MScIT, and PsyD. CUE’s Graduate Programs provide students with advanced instruction in specialized fields, the ability to conduct advanced research and to foster the highest ethical and professional standards possible. Further information about the Faculty can be found here: https://concordia.ab.ca/graduate-studies/
Reporting to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, the Dean of Graduate Studies will promote a high standard of instruction, research, and community service in the context of a collaborative environment growing the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students. The incumbent will maintain their academic appointment at CUE.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the faculty. Such activities include:
- Supporting and nurturing graduate programs and certificates at CUE,
- Dealing with student concerns and issues,
- Leading Faculty Council, and
- Serving as budget control officer for the Faculty;
- Support the research activities of faculty members in support of the academic mission;
- Develop new graduate programs;
- Develop and nurture partnerships with external stakeholders such as other post-secondary institutions, international partners, not-for-profit organizations, individuals, accrediting bodies, and all levels of government;
- Actively participate and collaborate as a member of senior management in the leadership of the Faculty and institution;
- Lead in a diverse and changing environment while engaging others in shaping that environment;
- Provide regular updates, including written reports and data collection, to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, and senior administration; and
- Teach a maximum of four courses per year.
- Currently a faculty member at CUE, at the rank of Associate or Full Professor;
- A doctorate (or terminal degree in the field) in a discipline taught at CUE, with a solid record of success as a teacher and researcher;
- An understanding of program development, review, and renewal;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
- A critical thinker with the ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse environment;
- Effective strategic planner, with strong organization and process skills;
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills;
- A solid record of building relationships with external and internal partners, with evidence of having built opportunities for potential sources of funding and support;
- A highly engaged leader who seeks out opportunities develops new possibilities, and implements them effectively; and
- Knowledge of Concordia University of Edmonton’s culture, opportunities, and stakeholders is expected.
Application Date: Applications will be accepted until March 8, 2021.
Application packages to include:
- Curriculum vitae; and
- A letter of interest, indicating what qualities and ambitions the applicant would bring to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Please forward a complete application package to CUE Human Resources at email@example.com.
Concordia University of Edmonton encourages applications from members of racialized groups, visible minorities, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, and others who may support a diversity of perspectives at CUE.