Coordinator, Public Health Department
Closing Date: January 31, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learners engaged in a process of continuous and mutually supportive learning that recognizes the importance of academic knowledge, information literacy, understanding Indigenous peoples, international awareness, and wellness. Concordia’s Faculty of Science is seeking candidates for the position of Coordinator, Public Health Department. This position is available to begin April 1, 2019.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 2500, Concordia is known for its small class sizes and its excellence in teaching. Our small classes, and diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. Concordia is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
The Department of Public Health offers an after-degree program in Environmental Health, a Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health Practice and a series of graduate Certificates in Public Health (online delivery). The Bachelor of Environmental Health (after-degree), is an intensive 15-month program designed to prepare students for public and private sector careers as environmental public health professionals such as public health inspectors. The program incorporates classroom instruction, field experiences, mentoring opportunities, and a 12-week field experience or an applied research project completed in association with organizations from the public or private sector.
- A minimum completion of a Diploma in Environmental Health OR a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health or a health related field of study
- Completion of Certificate in Public Health Inspection (Canada). Active Member in Good Standing with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Driver’s License
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Coordinates and leads on and off-site Environmental Health field trips and laboratory activities
- Organizes and monitors student Environmental Health practicums/internships
- Assists in the development of documents for program planning, accreditation, curriculum and cyclical reviews
- Maintains and updates program related tracking files e.g. students’ handbook, faculty contact list, internship list
- Assists in the development and dissemination of program materials e.g. promotional materials, reports, meeting minutes
- Assists with general program scheduling, sessional instructor and student orientation
- Participates in meetings and discussions on priorities for budget, personnel, equipment, supplies and resources
- Provides resource supports to instructors and guest speakers
- Assists with other duties as assigned by the Director.
The successful candidate will be committed to building professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Cecilia Bukutu at email@example.com.
All application packages should be directed to the Office of Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: This position will be filled subject to budget approval. Application review will commence February 1, 2019. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application packages should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status)
- Curriculum vitae including the names of two referees
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.