Chair, Faculty of Management
Category: Administration, Faculty
Closing Date: July 15, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton strives to be a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders, reflective leaders in their occupations, and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Faculty of Management invites applications for the position of Chair, Mihalcheon School of Management, Faculty of Management. This position is available to begin when a suitable candidate is hired.
Reporting to the Dean of Management, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to provide broad academic leadership in program development, curriculum development, research, and experiential learning for the programs in the faculty in the areas of theoretical and applied approaches to support the learning process and student success.
Responsibilities will include teaching at the undergraduate level using multi-model learning strategies and case-study methods; conducting and publishing research in good quality peer-reviewed journals; hiring; mentoring and coaching faculty and sessional instructors, and service to the School’s academic activities.
The appointment of Chair will be for a three-year term with the possibility of re-appointment, subject to a favourable performance review by the Dean of Management. Should the appointment as Chair not be renewed, but all faculty probationary provisions of the Collective Agreement have been satisfied, the appointee will retain his/her position as a continuing academic staff member.
As a scholar-practitioner who brings both informed professional practice, research and academic scholarship to the program, you will have:
- A PhD or Masters in Management or a relevant discipline.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Administrative experience would be an asset.
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at the bachelor level in the field of study, or a related field in face to face and/or online environments, with the ability to relate effectively to a wide variety of learners.
- Knowledge of academic programs, with a commitment and ability to advance the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives and the student learning experience.
- Experience in the integration and use of adult learning principles in curriculum design, delivery and assessment, particularly at the bachelor level, would be an asset.
- Knowledge of budgeting and faculty management processes would be an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, familiarity with educational technologies and Google docs is required, with an aptitude to learn other software as required.
- Professional designation e.g. CHRP or CFM, or in the process of obtaining a professional designation is an asset. Other related designations or experience will be considered.
Candidates ready to take their career to the next level and contribute to a growing faculty are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval. Application review will commence July 15, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement
Application packages should include:
- Cover letter (including citizenship/immigration status declaration);
- Curriculum vitae;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent teaching evaluations;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary references forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
Please forward all documents to:
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
Tel: (780) 479-9213
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.