Assistant Professor – Psychology
Closing Date: January 31, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Faculty of Arts is seeking applicants with a background in clinical or counselling psychology for the position of Assistant Professor of Psychology in its Psychology Department. This position is available to begin 1 July 2019.
The Psychology Department offers a three-year and two four-year Bachelor of Arts degrees, including our unique Applied Emphasis program. In this program, students complete a field placement along with co-requisite courses that foster the development of skills necessary for work in a range of human services settings and/or graduate studies in Psychology. The successful candidate will contribute expertise to the four-year Applied Emphasis program, as well as other undergraduate programs, assist in curriculum development, and engage in student mentorship. Teaching will include a range of courses including Introductory Psychology and undergraduate courses specific to the Applied Emphasis program.
The successful candidate will be expected to maintain a balance between excellence in teaching and a research program that inspires undergraduate students to become involved in the research process. In addition, the successful candidate will be active in academic administrative duties and committed to building professional relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
Requirements for the position include:
- A PhD in Psychology with a specialization in clinical or counselling psychology (preference will be given to candidates who are registered or are eligible for registration in Alberta);
- Evidence of successful university or college level instruction;
- A current or potentially strong research program; and
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 9 hours per semester in the first year and 12 hours per semester for subsequent years. In addition, the successful candidate will be committed to growing the diversity of and building professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Dorothy Steffler for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org. All application packages must be directed to the Office of Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: This position will be filled subject to budget approval. Application review will commence 1 February 2019. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement: https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Collective-Agreement-2016-2021-FINAL-signed-April-21-2017.pdf
Application packages should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Current curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Official transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations of university teaching (if applicable);
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
Please send all documents to:
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.