Assistant Professor, Psychology
Closing Date: February 7, 2020
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. The Department of Psychology in the Faculty of Arts invites applications for a full-time continuing appointment as an Assistant Professor of Psychology. This position commences July 1, 2020.
The Psychology Department offers a three-year and two four-year Bachelor of Arts degrees, including our unique Applied Emphasis program. In this program, students complete a field placement along with co-requisite courses that foster the development of skills necessary for work in a range of human services settings and/or graduate studies in Psychology. The successful candidate will be able to teach a range of undergraduate courses from introductory to senior level specialty courses, participate in program development, and engage in student mentorship.
The successful candidate will be expected to maintain a balance between excellence in teaching and an active research program that inspires undergraduate students to become involved in the research process. The potential to supervise graduate students in applied research would be an asset. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute to academic administrative and service duties.
Requirements for the position include:
- A doctoral degree in Psychology;
- A strong research program;
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member; and
- A willingness and ability to take on academic administrative duties.
- Evidence of successful university or college level instruction would be an asset.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 18 hours in the first year and 24 hours per year for subsequent years. Concordia provides opportunities for reductions in teaching to pursue research. In addition, the successful candidate will be committed to growing professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community, promoting diversity and inclusion as broadly understood.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Wendy Pullin for further information at email@example.com. All application packages must be directed to Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval. Application review will commence February 7, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement: https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Collective-Agreement-2016-2021-FINAL-signed-April-21-2017.pdf
Application packages must include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Current curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Official transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations of university teaching (if applicable); and
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions.
- Note that shortlisted candidates will be requested to provide three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference.
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.