Assistant Professor, Information Technology
Closing Date: November 30, 2020
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
CUE is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of over 3,000, we are known for our small class sizes and excellence in teaching. These features, and our diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian university system. CUE is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
CUE’s Faculty of Science is seeking two (2) candidates for the position of Assistant Professor in Information Technology, in the Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. Information Technology is the study of systemic approaches to select, develop, apply, integrate, and administer secure computing technologies to enable users to accomplish their personal, organizational, and societal goals. Our Bachelor of Science programs introduce students to a new way of thinking and provide avenues of research and discovery that could lead to solutions which impact the world around us. The Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences has a four-year Bachelor of Science degree program in Information Technology as well as a 16-month Master of Science in Information Technology program. These programs are geared to fulfill the demand for preparing graduates who will help to improve the province-wide prospect for excellence in computer-based delivery of services and information.
These positions are available to begin July 1, 2021, or shortly thereafter.
- PhD in a Computing discipline (Information Technology, Computing/Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent).
- Experience in the main areas of IT curriculum (infrastructure, networking, information management, software) is expected. Experience in some areas of artificial intelligence and or machine learning will be considered an asset.
- Excellence in both research and teaching, or strong potential to develop such excellence.
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member.
- A willingness and ability to take on academic administrative duties.
The graduate teaching assignment is 9 hours per semester. In addition, the successful candidate must assume academic administrative duties and will be committed to growing the diversity of and building professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Rossitza Marinova for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please forward your complete application package to Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: Application review will commence November 30, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement: https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Collective-Agreement-2016-2021-FINAL-signed-April-21-2017.pdf
Application packages must include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Current curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Official transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- A research statement;
- Recent student evaluations of university teaching (if applicable); and
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions.
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a complete application package to email@example.com. Note that shortlisted candidates will be requested to provide three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference.
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.