Assistant Professor in Accounting, Faculty of Management
Closing Date: July 19, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton strives to be a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders, reflective leaders in their occupations, and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Faculty of Management invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor in Accounting, Mihalcheon School of Management, Faculty of Management. This position is available to begin when a suitable candidate is hired.
Reporting to the Dean of Management, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to provide broad academic leadership in program development, curriculum development, research, and experiential learning for the programs in the faculty in the areas of theoretical and applied approaches to support the learning process and student success.
Our Faculty observes a teaching model that provides collaborative and engaging learning experience in our areas of emphasis and our research initiatives. Responsibilities will include teaching at the undergraduate level using multi-model learning strategies and case-study methods, conducting and publishing research in good quality peer-reviewed journals, and service to the School’s academic activities.
Requirements for the position include:
- Completion of a PhD in Accounting. The doctoral dissertation and publications should clearly focus on the designated area of expertise.
- University-level teaching experience. Industry experience would be an asset.
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at the bachelor level in field of study, or a related field in face to face and/or online environments with the ability to relate effectively to a wide variety of learners.
- Knowledge of academic programs, with a commitment and ability, to advance the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives and the student learning experience.
- Experience in the integration and use of adult learning principles in curriculum design, delivery and assessment, particularly at the bachelor level, an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Evidence of an effective ongoing program of academic research.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups, such as CPA.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, familiarity with educational technologies and Google docs, is required with an aptitude to learn other software as required.
- Professional designations e.g. CPA or CMA. Other related designations will be considered.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 9 hours per semester in the first year and 12 hours per semester for subsequent years. Concordia provides opportunities for reductions in teaching for the purposes of pursuing research.
Candidates ready to take their career to the next level and contribute to a growing faculty are welcome to apply.
Closing Date: Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval. Application review will commence on July 19, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement
Application packages should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
Please forward all documents to:
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
Tel: (780) 479-9214
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.