Assistant Professor – Environmental Science
Closing Date: January 31, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learners engaged in a process of continuous and mutually supportive learning that recognizes the importance of academic knowledge, information literacy, understanding Indigenous peoples, international awareness, and wellness. Concordia’s Faculty of Science is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Professor of Environmental Sciences in the Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences. This position is available to begin July 1, 2019.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 2500, Concordia is known for its small class sizes and its excellence in teaching. Our small classes, and diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. Concordia is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
Concordia’s Bachelor of Science in Environmental Sciences program offers 3- and 4-year Bachelor of Science degrees, giving students the option to either prepare for a professional career or move forward into professional programs or graduate schools. The Environmental Science program offers multiple concentrations or major options, and minors in environmental science are available to students in other areas of study. The degree programs are designed to give students a broad understanding of the foundational concepts in Environmental Science. Students are exposed to extensive laboratory and field experiences that support and expand upon concepts discussed in lecture while allowing them to gain a variety of practical skills.
- PhD in Environmental Science or a closely related field.
- Must demonstrate potential for excellence in research and teaching.
- Experience in an area of Environmental Earth Sciences (Geology/Hydrology/Soil Science and/or related fields) is expected.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 9 hours per week each semester in the first year and 12 hours per week each semester for subsequent years. In addition, the successful candidate must assume academic administrative duties and will be committed to growing the diversity of and building professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Xin Chen at email@example.com.
All application packages should be directed to the Office of Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: This position will be filled subject to budget approval. Application review will commence February 1, 2019. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement.
Application packages should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.