Assistant Professor, Biology
Closing Date: February 1, 2020
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learners engaged in a process of continuous and mutually supportive learning that recognizes the importance of academic knowledge, information literacy, understanding Indigenous peoples, international awareness, and wellness. Concordia University of Edmonton’s Faculty of Science is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Professor of Environmental Sciences in the Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences. This position is available to begin July 1, 2020.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 3,000, CUE is known for our small class sizes and our excellence in teaching. Our small classes, and diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. CUE is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
Concordia’s Bachelor of Science in Biology program offers 3- and 4-year Bachelor of Science degrees, giving students the option to either prepare for a professional career or move forward into professional programs or graduate schools. The Biology program offers multiple concentrations or major options, and minors in biology are available to students in other areas of study. The degree programs are designed to give students a broad understanding of the foundational concepts in Biology. Students are exposed to extensive laboratory and field experiences that support and expand upon concepts discussed in lecture while allowing them to gain a variety of practical skills.
Requirements for the position include:
- A doctoral degree in Biology – experience in an area of molecular biology or cellular biology or genetics is expected.
- Excellence in both research and teaching, or strong potential to develop such excellence;
- A demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member; and
- A willingness and ability to take on academic administrative duties.
- Evidence of successful university or college level instruction would be an asset.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 18 hours in the first year and 24 hours per year for subsequent years. Concordia provides opportunities for reductions in teaching to pursue research. In addition, the successful candidate will be committed to growing professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community, promoting diversity and inclusion as broadly understood.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Mariola Janowicz for further information at email@example.com. All application packages must be directed to Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval. Application review will commence February 1, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement: https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Collective-Agreement-2016-2021-FINAL-signed-April-21-2017.pdf
Application packages must include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Current curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Official transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations of university teaching (if applicable); and
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions.
- Note that shortlisted candidates will be requested to provide three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference.
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.