Admissions Advisor (18-month contract)
Closing Date: April 3, 2019
Concordia University of Edmonton is seeking two Admission Advisors, reporting to the Assistant Registrar, Admissions. Our Admission Advisors work closely together with a student-orientated focus committed to providing service excellence to domestic and international applicants, educational partners and agents.
As the first point of contact, the Admissions Advisor is responsible for providing high-quality front-line service and creating a welcoming environment that promotes a sense of belonging for prospective applicants, students, employees and the public.
Admission Assessment, Transfer Credit Evaluation and Applicant Follow-up
- Receive, process, and assess applications for admission for all undergraduate, continuing education and non-credit programs for admission and transfer credit.
- Receive, process, and assess for initial eligibility for professional and graduate programs and make appropriate recommendations.
- Review all applications for completeness, the evaluation of academic transcripts and calculation of admissions GPAs.
- Conduct appropriate follow-up for all related parts of the applicant record to encourage conversion.
- Review and assess high school and post-secondary credentials for preliminary entrance scholarship adjudication and transfer credit evaluation.
- Utilizes online sources/tools to interpret international credentials, credits and grades into Canadian equivalents so they can be used as part of the student record.
- Assists in the scanning and maintenance of electronic records keeping.
- Advise students whose application has been rejected about available options to meet admission standards.
- Verify credential authenticity and maintain accurate student records (paper and electronic).
- Generates all correspondence for incompletes and rejected applications.
- Request and follow-up with transcript requests and error messages using the ApplyAlberta production site and individual student follow-up.
- As the first point of contact, the admissions advisor is responsible for providing high quality front-line service and creating a welcoming environment that promotes a sense of belonging for prospective applicants, students, employees and the public.
- Advise prospective students and their parents/family on Concordia programs and services, admissions requirements, and career options.
- Advise clients on other post-secondary programs, such as professional and graduate programs that may not be available at Concordia or may latter to another institutions program.
- Advise students whose application has been rejected about available options to meet admission standards, including advising related to registration and course/program selection for rescinded offers and alternate programming.
- Maintain a strong customer service focus with all applicants, educational partners and bodies, authorized representatives, faculty and other clientele.
- Participation in special events, including Open Houses, Information Nights, Counsellor’s Brunch, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Possess an undergraduate baccalaureate degree with proven customer service experience. A minimum of two years’ experience in a post-secondary environment in the area of admissions, recruitment, or the registrar’s office is a definite asset.
- Effective cross-cultural, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, record-keeping, and ability to maintain professionalism and courtesy in answering/delivering telephone and email messages and in one-on-one advising appointments.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to modify duties when required.
- Ability to exercise good judgement within established guidelines and capable of working with frequent disturbances.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience with Google Docs, is required with an aptitude to learn other software as required.
- Knowledge of post-secondary education systems, requirements, policies and the evaluation of credentials and admission documents would be considered an asset.
- Must be able to pass an Edmonton Police Service (EPS) security clearance and provide a clear current driver’s abstract.
Closing Date: Application deadline is April 3, 2019. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Please note that both spots are for a maternity leave cover (18 months).
All applications should include a resume and cover letter with three work-related references and salary expectations. Please forward the application in confidence to:
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.