Sociology is the scientific study of social behaviour. Sociologists attempt to reach a deeper understanding of people and their social environment and offer a special angle of vision about our daily lives.
At Concordia University of Edmonton, the Department of Sociology’s primary goal is to help students develop a strong working knowledge of the theory, concepts, methodology, publications, and practices in the field of sociology. By the end of their program, students are able to:
- Identify the relationship between historical context and the development of society and culture
- Converse on social issues and identify, discuss and debate different positions
- Critique the major theoretical and methodological issues in the field of sociology
- Write a well-structured, critical research paper
- Present material in an effective and professional manner
- Conduct research using primary and secondary data
- Demonstrate a concern for social issues and sense of social responsibly
See the Academic Calendar for further information about this Minor.