Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) values its history and traditions, while at the same time providing a solid foundation to all of its students for the future. CUE has evolved to become one of Canada’s best smaller universities and professional degree granting institutions. It is now recognized globally as a university committed to academic excellence in teaching and research, welcoming nearly 2,000 students annually from across Canada and from over 40 countries around the world.
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders, reflective servants in their occupations, and citizens for the common good.
Concordia University of Edmonton will be recognized nationally and internationally for its graduates’ knowledge, skill, integrity, and wisdom.
CUE has developed governance practices that are based on competence, exhibit transparency, maintain accountability, and contribute to fulfilling the mission and vision of the institution. These governance practices are informed by legislation, by-laws, policies, and procedural documents. In keeping with the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act (PSLA), CUE has a bi-cameral governance structure consisting of two governing bodies:
- Board of Governors – which is responsible for the broad oversight of the university, with a primary focus on operational and capital sustainability, along with setting the institution’s overall direction within the Post-Secondary system in Alberta.
- General Faculties Council (GFC) – in other Canadian jurisdictions is the “university senate”, is the PSLA mandated body that is responsible for the oversight of all academic and research activities.
Concordia University of Edmonton has played an important role in Alberta’s educational history since 1921. For nearly a century, CUE has been part of a growing Edmonton and an important educational institution in the province of Alberta. CUE was the realization of a dream of German Lutheran immigrants who highly valued education. With the help of Lutherans from the American based Missouri Synod, the university was first established as junior college in downtown Edmonton in 1921. In 1926 Concordia was built on Treaty 6 land, after purchase of the property from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1925. In 1987, CUE began awarding undergraduate degrees in the arts and sciences. Today, CUE offers over 45 majors and minors in the fields of Arts, Science, and Management; two after-degree programs; three masters degrees; and several graduate certificates and diplomas. Throughout their history, CUE has become committed to higher education grounded in a liberal arts tradition. It is a globally aware and responsible university, and has retained a focus on the needs of their learners and the community.
For additional information on the university please visit https://concordia.ab.ca/
VICE-PRESIDENT ACADEMIC AND PROVOST
Reports to: President
Direct Reports: Dean of Graduate Studies, Dean of Science, Dean of Arts, Dean of Education, Dean of Management, Registrar, Director of Institutional Research and Program Development, and Library Director
Indirect Reports: Approx. 300
The Vice-President Academic and Provost, Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE), under the direction of the President, is responsible for all operational and strategic elements of CUE related to academics and support. This oversight ranges from academic and program direction, the development and nurturing of a culture in which individuals are engaged in both their work and studies, and the highest level of support and service possible recognizing fiscal constraints.
As a member of the senior administration team of CUE, the individual is an integral part of implementing the vision and direction set by the Board and communicated via the President. The strategic direction of the university focuses on the scholarly and learning environment for its students in order to give them a university education of the highest quality.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- As a member of the senior administration team, the Vice-President Academic and Provost contributes to the long-term vision of CUE and subsequently oversees development and implementation of academic plans.
- Working collaboratively with other Vice Presidents and Deans, oversees institutional and individual Faculty initiatives, such as program review and development.
- Acts in the capacity of trusted advisor to the President, providing advice and progress updates on strategic initiatives as required.
- Collaborates with and supports initiatives of the other Vice-Presidents (International and Research, Student Life and Learning, and Finance and Operations).
- Coordinates institutional procedures and policies in collaboration with the University Secretariat and Director of Policy.
- Ensures an appropriate learning, teaching, research, and service environment.
- Contributes to the creation and oversees adherence to operational budgets.
- Chairs General Faculties Council Standing Committees and ensures they run efficiently and effectively.
- Overseas operations of the Registrar, Student Enrollment Services, Recruitment, Events & Library departments, while collaborating with their respective heads.
- Acts in place of the President when he or she is indisposed for a period of time, at the discretion of the Board and in collaboration with the other Vice Presidents.
- Ensures the provision of an appropriate learning environment with services for students and ensures that a student perspective is taken into account in University discussions and decisions.
- Acts as a responsible custodian of institutional resources.
- Assists Deans and other administrative staff in areas of faculty and student concerns, discipline, appeals, etc.
- Works with Human Resources on hiring and staffing issues, including salaries, discipline, contracts, and terminations.
- Leads interactions with the Union, including bargaining, and subsequently ensures the Collective Agreement is consistently applied.
- Works to ensure a collegial environment that is conducive to respectful interactions between administrators, students, faculty, and staff.
- Works with Support Staff Association and Management Team
- Works with faculty, management, and staff to ensure that they are provided with the means to effectively do their jobs.
- Sits on the Edmonton Coalition of Senior Academic Officers.
- Sits on the Provincial Vice-President, Academic representative group.
- Provides reports to Government and other key stakeholders.
- Meets with visitors to Concordia University, including international visitors.
- Acts as the key ‘point of contact’ for external bodies such as Campus Alberta Quality Council.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
- The scope of influence in this role holds great opportunity for the individual to make a significant impact on the advancement of the University.
- The Vice-President Academic and Provost will act as a key influencing force in realizing Concordia’s aspirational goal of becoming Canada’s pre-eminent small university.
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a strong team and to continue to build the confidence and capacity of the staff.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the Vice-President Academic and Provost’s ability to:
- Quickly develop an awareness of the culture of the institution through a process of listening and consultation.
- Collaborate with fellow administrators, winning their confidence and trust, while ensuring that Concordia is run as an efficient and effective institution.
- Collaborate with students and faculty to maximize the value of the experience students gain through their programs of study and activities outside of the classroom.
- Develop and implement an effective Academic Plan consistent with the objectives of the Board of Governors and the direction of the President.
- Work with management and staff to develop or enhance processes that improve the student experience at CUE.
- Successfully navigate initiatives through University processes in order to ensure timely completion. In other words, is able to demonstrate concrete results.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholder groups to promote the objectives of CUE.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- An earned doctorate in one of the areas of study offered by CUE
- An outstanding research record, a robust background in teaching at the university level, and successful senior academic and administrative leadership experience.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- Proven leadership with a high level of personal integrity
- Combines big picture thinking with collaborative action to chart a future course
- Excellent communicator with high proficiency in writing and verbal communication
- Strategic collaborator and visionary who recognizes and understands future trends and addresses issues and organizational challenges with clarity, energy and confidence.
Demonstrates Energy and Enthusiasm
- Commits to an enthusiastic, fast-paced life and is excited and passionate about one’s work
- Dynamic and confident in sharing ideas
- Able to manage a variety of assignments and situations simultaneously
- Anticipates, responds, and attends to the needs of students
- Able to interact with both the campus and off-campus communities
- A leader who can coach and support within a motivating work environment
- Ability to delegate, set expectations, and monitor progress of all direct reports
- Builds committed and collaborative teams by empowering others and building trust
- Responsive to internal and external stakeholders of the university
- A strong facilitator and mediator
- Diplomatic and tactful; recognizes internal and external sensitivities; uses sound judgment
- Has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions
- A demonstrated track record of decisiveness, with a willingness to take ownership for decisions made
- Desires to achieve exceptional results
Focuses on Results
- Ability to assess complex situations and make effective decisions
- Makes personal sacrifices and expends extraordinary dedication and work ethic
- Results-oriented and fiscally responsible, promoting a high degree of financial due diligence and cost control
Strives for Excellence
- Strives for impeccable standards and the best quality possible through devotion to meticulous excellence
- Ability to initiate and model positive change and skillfully lead through growth
Compensation will be commensurate with private university norms for academic administrators.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AQEG-210111 Vice President Academic and Provost, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.