Quick links

12.0 Undergraduate Certificates (Church Music Certificate) 2017/2018

12.1 Church Music Certificate

A. Admission

Concordia University of Edmonton provides novice instruction in a variety of areas; students may be asked to take additional courses at Concordia University of Edmonton to meet admission requirements before entering the certificate program, depending on their background and experience.

  1. Interview with Music Department representative, which will outline the specific program, complete with requirement sheet to take to Admissions.
  2. The admission to the certificate program is normally high school completion, and at least one year of post-secondary education (examples include Bible School, university instruction at Concordia University of Edmonton or elsewhere), or over age 21.
  3. Harmony Gr. 2 RCM (or equivalent) or higher; if this requirement is not met, MUS 211 and 212 will need to be added to the course requirements.
  4. Ample study on private instrument. Individual should be at least at the Gr. 6 RCM level (or equivalent) on their primary instrument to enter this certificate program; the ‘church music instrument’ choices are piano, organ, handbells, voice or guitar, unless a strong case can be made for using another instrument for this program and for church music leadership.
  5. Some previous experience in congregational music (may include directing/singing in choir, preparing/participating in ensembles, working with adults/children).

B. Program Requirements

  1. 30 credits required, to include:
    1. Two of the following three courses: MUS 261, MUS 262, MUS 263.
    2. MUS 315
    3. MUS 321
    4. MUS 361
    5. MUS 395 and 396
    6. 3 credits in primary private lessons (MUP 126-227) in major instrument/voice
    7. 1.5 credits of secondary private lessons (MUP 122; if piano is not the major instrument, then it is strongly suggested that piano lessons fill this requirement; if piano is the primary instrument, then 1.5 credits in one of the other four designated church music instruments, with a strong suggestion towards fulfilling this requirement in voice).
    8. 1.5 credits of an ensemble (MUP 142/3 series, MUP 164/5 series, MUP 166/7 series, MUP 168/9 series): choral or instrumental
    9. 6 credits, choosing three credits from each of the following areas:
      1. one Religious Studies course (REL 101 or 150, or any senior-level REL course)
      2. 3 credits chosen from MUS 630, MUS 631, MUED 213, MUED 214, MUED 264, DRA 149, DRA 252, or SOC 100
  2. achieve a minimum overall GPA of 2.3 in the required courses, with no grade less than C-.
  3. Students must complete a minimum of 18 credits at Concordia University of Edmonton.

MUS 211 and 212 is needed, if the student has not proven to be at least at this level at entry into program.

C. Certification

Concordia University of Edmonton issues the Church Music Certificate to students who successfully complete the required course work.