Imagine a collaborative space where leading scientific researchers meet with innovative and entrepreneurial minds. A place where ideas that will contribute to the long-term growth and diversification of the economy can be researched in state of the art laboratories and developed into economically viable businesses. This is the vision of Concordia University of Edmonton’s Centre for Science, Research, and Innovation (CSRI).
The 30,000-square foot, $16.37 million facility opening in 2018 will house community connectors:
- The Centre for Innovation and Applied Research, transitioning science into successful business ventures through industry incubators and business development services;
- The Institute for Psychological Research and Services, connecting research, learning, and practice with community mental health needs;
- The Indigenous Centre for Engagement with Social and Scientific Research, engaging Indigenous and non-Indigenous students with social and scientific research opportunities in a cultural space;
- Research Labs and scientific community spaces that support community outreach initiatives; and
- Research Presentation Facility for Public Health.
Would you like to know more about each area? Watch this video:
For nearly a century, Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) has been an important educational institution in the province of Alberta. It is recognized globally as a university committed to academic excellence in teaching and research, welcoming over 2,000 students annually from over 40 countries around the world.
However, within the confines of the current facilities, research and innovation opportunities are limited. Industry is asking for innovative, sector-ready graduates who can perform applicable research. The future demands a space that will attract some of the world’s best researchers to work alongside Concordia students and faculty to bring new industry-relevant ideas to fruition. Poised for a new era of success at Concordia, The Centre for Science, Research, and Innovation (CSRI) will become Edmonton’s preeminent facility for combining quality education with community-relevant idea development. The impact of the Centre will extend into future generations of thinkers and innovators.