Beginners’ Chinese I
Course description: An entry-level course designed to give students a good introduction to spoken and written Chinese. Students will learn 150 characters and 150 vocabulary words.
Hours: (0 – 5L – 0): 65 Instruction hours.
Credit value: 3
Xinxin Fang, PhD
Phone: +1 780 378 8437
Office Hours: Monday @ 15:00 – 16:00, Friday @15:00 – 16:00
Lecture/seminar/lab times: Lectures:
Room: TBA. on Monday @ (16:00 – 16:50), Tuesday @ (15:25 – 16:40), Thursday @ (15:25 – 16:40), Friday @ (16:00 – 16:50).
- Moodle (CCMS) access. Students should check their course Moodle sites on a daily basis.
- Jiang Liping. (2014). Standard Course HSK 1. Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University Press.
- Jiang Liping. (2014). Standard Course HSK 1 Workbook. Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University Press.
The course outcomes include:
- Linguistic knowledge: pronunciation, characters and words, grammar and function, them and discourse.
- Linguistic skills: reading, listening, speaking, writing
- Cultural competence: cultural knowledge, cultural understanding, cross-cultural competence, international perspectives.
- Strategies: affective strategies, learning strategies, communicative strategies, resource strategies, interdisciplinary strategies.
The objectives of CHIN 101 are: Students will be able to understand basic language materials related to common personal and daily life. They can retell, recite and copy words or sentences with fair accuracy and can write words or sentences following example. They will begin to develop interest and confidence in learning the Chinese language. They will acquire preliminary knowledge of learning strategies, communicative strategies, resource strategies and interdisciplinary strategies under the instructor’s guidance. They will gain introductory Chinese cultural knowledge, preliminary cross-cultural competence and international perspectives.
Course Schedule: (note that this schedule is subjected to modification by the instructor at any time)
|1||SEP 06-07||Introduction- Hello!||L1. 1|
|2||SEP 11-12||Thank you||L1. 2||3 mins quiz Bring laptops – type in Chinese|
|SEP 13-14||What is your name? She is my Chinese teacher||L1.3||3 mins quiz role-play|
|3||SEP 18-21||She is my Chinese teacher||L1.4||3 mins quiz role-play|
|4||SEP 25-28||Her daughter is 20 years old this year||L1.5||3 mins quiz
|5||OCT 02||EXAM # 1|
|OCT 03-05||I can speak Chinese||L1. 6||3 mins quiz
|6||OCT 09||Thanksgiving – No class|
|OCT 10-12||What’s the date today||L1. 7||3 mins quiz
A Chinese Song
|7||OCT 16 -19||I’d like some tea||L1. 8||3 mins quiz
|8||OCT 23-26||Where does your son work||L1. 9||3 mins quiz Role-play|
|9||OCT 30- NOV 01||Can I sit here||L1. 10||3 mins quiz
|NOV 02||EXAM # 2||Mid-term exam|
|10||NOV 06-09||Fall Reading Week – No classes|
|11||NOV 13-16||What is the time now||L1. 11||3 mins quiz Semantic mapping|
|12||NOV 20-23||What will the weather be like tomorrow||L1. 12||3 mins quiz presentation|
|13||NOV 27-28||He is learning to cook Chinese food. She has bought quite a few clothes||L1. 13-14||3 mins quiz
|14||DEC 04-06||I came here by air||L1. 15||3 mins quiz
A Chinese song
|DEC 07||Exam review||Bring questions|