Director of Fund Development
Closing Date: June 19, 2018
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a boutique university, small enough where every student is essential yet large enough for a global outlook. We’re constantly seeking the right balance between teaching and research, between specialization and adventurousness. Our ultimate goal has not changed since 1921: to be more than students and professors, to create a community of active citizens, of good and honourable people. Our vision is to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university.
Reporting to the Vice-President, External Affairs & International Relations, the Director of Fund Development will be a dynamic individual responsible for the planning, organization, and coordination of all development activities for the University, including the current $5M capital campaign, Accelerate Concordia. This individual will be a leader in developing the direction for University relations as it pertains to all current and prospective donors. The portfolio involves creating various integrated strategies, ensuring successful implementation and measurement to enhance donor engagement.
- Develop a strategic plan to support the university’s goals as they relate to development.
- Produce and implement a fundraising plan to retain and renew current donors while identifying and acquiring prospective donors.
- Serve as a primary contact for donors and make direct solicitations. This includes phone, mail, and direct face-to-face contact, attending donor meetings and events.
- Advise prospects on giving options available; develop gift proposals; and work with donors to complete transfers of funds.
- Direct and develop appropriate tactics and tools to monitor and measure results to ensure that pre-established goals are achieved.
- Maintain fundraising schedules and objectives; ensure plans are implemented, goals achieved, timely reports generated and information shared; ensure that fundraising is done in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Cultivate, steward, and sustain the planned giving program.
- Provides regular updates, including written reports and data collection to the Vice-President and leadership team.
- Act as a brand champion for external relations and the power of philanthropy, upholding the university’s visual identity.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in major or planned gift fundraising with a track record of closing gifts of $50,000 and greater, preferably in higher education; related experience in sales, financial services and business development will be considered.
- Certified Fundraising Professional Executive (CFRE) designation is preferred.
- A successful track record of identifying, prospecting, soliciting, and stewarding donors and donor leads.
- Experience in all facets of an integrated development program including capital campaigns, events, sponsorship, annual giving, major gifts and legacy giving.
- Knowledge of and successful experience with e-philanthropy strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proven leadership ability, and strong organizational skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills with a diplomatic approach to all constituencies, internal and external.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups to advance the goals of the university.
- Experience in budget development and control with excellent attention to detail is required.
- Must be flexible, and have the ability to travel to other locations, and related events outside normal business hours.
- Sound judgment and decision-making capabilities and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively are required
- High level of knowledge about relational database systems and technology applications.
Closing Date: Application review will commence June 19, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please forward your cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional references.
Concordia University of Edmonton
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.