Dean of Management
Category: Senior Administration
Closing Date: January 22, 2018
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. Concordia University of Edmonton is seeking candidates for the position of Dean of Management. This position is available to begin July 1, 2018.
Concordia University of Edmonton’s Faculty of Management comprises the Mihalcheon School of Management and the Department of Information Systems Security and Assurance, which offer a range of undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees and diplomas. Further information about the Faculty can be found here: Faculty of Management
Reporting to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, the Dean of Management will promote a high standard of instruction, research, and community service in the context of a collaborative environment growing the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students.
- Manage the day to day operations of the faculty. Such activities include:
- Supervise direct reports (department chairs, program coordinator),
- Recruit qualified sessional instructors to complement faculty,
- Deal with student concerns and issues, and
- Serve as budget control officer for the Faculty;
- Support the research activities of faculty members in support of the academic mission;
- Develop and nurture partnerships with external stakeholders such as other post-secondary institutions, international partners, not-for-profit organizations, individuals, accrediting bodies, and all levels of government;
- Actively participate and collaborate as a member of senior management in the leadership of the Faculty and institution;
- Lead in a diverse and changing environment while engaging others in shaping that environment; and
- Provide regular updates, including written reports and data collection, to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, and senior administration.
- A doctorate (or similar level degree in the field) in a related discipline, with a solid record of success as a teacher and researcher, who qualifies for an academic appointment with the rank of Associate or Full Professor;
- Experience in industry would be considered an asset;
- An understanding of program development, review, and renewal;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
- A critical thinker with the ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse environment;
- Effective strategic planner, with strong organization and process skills;
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills;
- A solid record of building relationships with external and internal partners, with evidence of having built opportunities for potential sources of funding and support; and
- A highly engaged leader who seeks out opportunities, develops new possibilities, and implements them effectively.
- Knowledge of Concordia University of Edmonton’s culture, opportunities, and stakeholders would be considered an asset.
Application Date: Applications will be accepted until January 22, 2018. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Application packages must include:
- Curriculum vitae;
- A statement of citizenship/immigration status;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A list of refereed publications;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.