Assistant Professor of French
Closing Date: February 16, 2018
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Faculty of Arts is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Professor of French in the Department of Literature and Language. This position is available to begin July 1, 2018.
The French program at Concordia is a small but rapidly growing program with much potential, currently offering a 3-year degree concentration as well as a minor. The program is undergoing significant changes, such as the implementation of new study abroad programs and the complete redesign of its curriculum. Its primary objectives are to offer students an understanding of the complexity of French/Francophone culture and its diversity, an increased awareness of Canada’s bilingual character, the tools to read and comprehend and analyze texts, and the necessary language skills for professions where an intermediate to advanced level of French is required. Our diverse group of instructors is committed to offer students a unique and personalized experience in language education.
To encourage and support that growth, we are seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic colleague, qualified to teach the French language, French/Francophone literature and culture, and preferably another language (Spanish or Arabic). The candidate will also be expected to explore and develop innovative programming and instructional initiatives, possibly in cooperation with other institutions.
Requirements for the position include:
- a PhD (completed or to be completed before appointment date) in French and/or Francophone studies, French Linguistics, or a PhD in a closely related field, with a native or near-native fluency in French;
- demonstrated teaching excellence at the undergraduate level, a commitment to teach at every level of the curriculum, and a familiarity with current teaching methodologies;
- strong computer skills, and the ability to integrate innovative multi-media technologies in the curriculum;
- eagerness to contribute to program expansion, and extracurricular activities;
- a demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member; and to serve on departmental, school, and university-wide committees; and
- evidence of and the ability to maintain an effective and ongoing research agenda.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 9 hours per semester in the first year and 12 hours per semester for subsequent years. In addition, the successful candidate must assume academic administrative duties and will be committed to growing the diversity of and building professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Joanna Merkel, coordinator of the French program, for further information at email@example.com. All application packages must be directed to the Office of Human Resources, as specified below.
Closing Date: This position will be filled subject to budget approval. Application review will commence February 16, 2018. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per Concordia’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement.
Application packages must be exclusively in English and include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- Recent student evaluations;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.