Title: Accounts Payable Assistant
Department: Finance and Operations
Supervisor: Manager, Accounting Services
Load Weight: Contract (12 months), Full-time
Recommended by the Manager, Accounting Services
Nominated by the Vice-President, Finance and Operations
Appointed by the President
This position assists in the efficient and effective functioning of the accounts payable department including ensuring source documents are properly authorized and coded, the liability exists, and the disbursement is accurate, timely and within vendor's terms, and in accordance with university policies and procedures.
Specifically, the individual is responsible for processing supplier invoices, reconciling vendor statements and resolving discrepancies, weekly cheque runs, filing, and other related duties.
- Two years’ work experience in a computerized accounts payable environment.
- Ideally the successful candidate will also have two years post-secondary education in administration or accounting. Equivalent work and experience in lieu of formal education will be considered.
- A strong comprehension of accounting principles.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- We require a self-starter who is detail oriented with good organizational and analytical skills, strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills.
- Sort and distribute incoming department mail.
- Match purchase orders to vendor invoices.
- Coordinate invoice approval with departments if no PO.
- Prioritize invoices according to cash discounts and vendor terms.
- Enter invoices in accounting system ensuring correct approval, coding and matching.
- Claim appropriate GST rebate and add attribute for tax reporting when applicable.
- Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.
- Respond to vendors inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Process weekly cheque runs.
- Assist in month end and year end closing.
- Maintain historical records by filing documents.
- Provide backup to Accounts Payable Coordinator as needed.