The General Faculties Council (GFC) is the university’s senior academic governing body and is responsible for the academic affairs of the university, subject to the approval of the Board. Its responsibilities include:
- Approving new academic programs and modifications to existing programs;
- Granting degrees, diplomas and certificates awarded by the university;
- Overseeing the reviews of faculties, centres and institutes;
- Setting academic regulations (including qualifications for admission);
- Establishing policies governing academic integrity, academic appeals and student conduct; and
- Establishing academic dates for each academic year.
GFC consists of elected members from the faculties and non-academic staff, elected student representatives, and appointed members of senior academic and non-academic administration, including the Library.